Thursday 20 February 2020

Marantz SD35 Cassette Deck
Servicing and Alignment



Received this 1989 Marantz SD35 cassette deck off a relative - it had been in his loft for a number of years, and initially we didn't know if it was working. It was thankfully, and so now I thought it was time to check this thing out in more detail.
 
After the usual dusting or wiping off of debris, I opened the SD35 up and found that all was good internally. There was naturally some dust and corrosion present as expected, but was only minor.
 
I needed to investigate whether the drive belt needed replacing. The cassette tape transport and motor mechanism are cheaply made, and a bit delicate, so I had to handle with care. After extracting the mechanism from the main unit, I realised that to replace the belt meant more careful disassembly. I checked the elasticity of the drive belt, and everything seemed to be fine - so no need to fix that issue!
 

Cassette transport and motor - top right.

On reassembly, the machine worked but then a little later decided not to work!? The next day, I opened up the deck and carefully disassembled, and reassembled again the cassette transport unit. All was working back to normal!

Later, all external and internal potentiometers were switch-cleaned with Servisol, and then the heads and capstan were demagnetised.
 
Next on the to-do list was the record/replay head alignment - using an ABEX 10Khz reference tape I aligned the head azimuth to the tape. The original setting was out by a fair margin, ~ 180° at 10Khz.
 
So now I could use my ant-audio.co.uk 400Hz full track width Dolby Level reference tape to calibrate the output at Dolby Level, making sure both left and light channels were equal - I eventually settled for an output of slightly under 500mV (RMS) at Dolby Level.
 
At this point the peak reading LED meters were only a fraction out, but I re-calibrated these regardless. Unfortunately, in order to set the peak-level meters, I had to take the LED display and control board off the chassis and adjust in situ - thankfully it was not difficult.


I later calibrated the internal record levels to match that with the sensitivity of the current batch of Maxell UR C90 tapes. That is: record at 315/333/400Hz at 0VU or Dolby Level (Dolby Level = +2.7dB above 0VU), and the tape now plays back at calibrated level.


The deck is now playing well - very stable sound, very pleased.

Back in 1989, this retailed for around £149.99 in the UK.


Article subject to alterations and corrections without notice. 21/02/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment